Our outreach staff installed a window fan for an elderly individual in poor health, this week, and were reminded of the vulnerability of many people living with few resources during periods of extreme heat. If you know of someone who is being put at risk by the inability to stay cool on hot days, here are a few suggestions.
1. If they are in distress, call for emergency help (9-1-1).
2. Ask about their fan/cooling situation. Would it help them if you could provide them with a fan?
3. Are they able to get to a cooling station, safely? Locate cooling stations in the area (see map below for Port Hope locations and offer a ride if needed.
4. Encourage drinking of more water, fewer alcoholic drinks.
5. Feel free to call us for more problem solving ideas (905-885-8700).